View Single Post
Old September 14, 2015   #167
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth in the tomato seedling/transplant cup topic. I bought I lot of Peanut Grass transplants once (to my regret) and they came in inserts which had 32 cells per. I decided to use them for my tomato seedlings. I had many inserts, so I took quite a few and cut them into individual cups. This allowed me to put individual cells into the a sheet of cells, which I had not cut up. When my seedlings are ready to transplant to a bigger cup, then I can simply lift each one out individually. Of course I could have used a larger 3 1/2" cup for seedlings but I didn't want to use that much starter mix. I've been accused of walking on my elbows in order not to wear out my shoes. My next step is to move my seedling from this small cup to a larger one containing compost. I only want to make this move once, so I want my larger cup to be large enough to hold my plant until transplant into the garden. For this I use a 3 1/2" (at the top) square cup and 3 1/2" high. I avoid the ones 3" or 3 1/4" high. Ever bit of more soil I can get in my 3 1/2" cup counts because I want them to hold my plant until transplant. If I am a bit late getting them transplanted (as I was this season) the indeterminates start to get leggy. This season I had to compensate by planting the stem somewhat horizontal before going vertical. It seems to have worked well enough. I have been enjoying reading what others are doing. Lots of good ideas.
Thanks, Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote