View Single Post
Old May 8, 2009   #14
Jimche
Tomatovillian™

"So many things to think about."

That is a true statement. Thank you for the experienced advice, Carol. I will try to follow it.

Since I want to avoid the commoditization that would go with being just another supplier to a broker or agent, I'm considering how I might position myself so that the customers (restaurants and perhaps supermarkets) would prefer to purchase directly from me, rather than through the broker. If the broker isn't lazy, he should be able to bring diverse offerings, probably more than even an ambitious individual grower can do. He's running a business, so he probably has the basics of customer service figured out and likely handles things professionally. The customer might prefer to deal with a single supplier, rather than going direct with lots of growers. To stand out under those circumstances, we probably have to offer 1) sought after varieties that the broker does not have access to 2) conveniences the broker does not offer. These are just general ideas...the devil is in the details. Sorry, this has turned into something other than a "Quick Reply".
Jimche is offline   Reply With Quote