View Single Post
Old April 11, 2016   #4
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I do pretty much an honor system, but I am not far from the stand usually either AND i have a driveway beeper to alert me when I am in the house because I can't see or hear them from inside. I also hank a "HONK for HELP" sign. I have customers who want help and customers who are there only for a quart of tomatoes... every day, and don;t need help. I also have a friend who comes and hangs out keeping busy in exchange for produce she can't grow since she lives in town and doesn't really have the space. I intentionally plant extra for her for all the help she really is.
I also package my produce in bags/boxes etc, to keep people from picking up and touching everything, but you will still have it no matter what... some people just have to touch everything. Children aren't generally a problem. a few, but not most. some eat a fruit or veg. right there, but I don't worry over that. I want them to eat it..I want them to come back.

signs sign signs. at road intersections in lawns word of mouth. make sure it is always quality top to bottom of the container. if there is something spotted or bad ... give it away with a purchase or use it yourself or compost it.

I keep a jar of small bills/change for people to make their own change, but I may have to make a lock box due to a few who know it is an easy target and a couple times I have wondered, one time the whole jar was taken... the day after a person (new customer)was shocked I would leave a jar sitting out with money in it. duh!
I keep chickens and sell eggs year round.. not many during the winter, but enough to keep a sign out many days. this keeps people thinking of you while no vegetables are available.

I keep an apartment sized ref. for eggs and small fruit, cukes etc. during the Summer.

I also do an open porch attached to a shed. I just think people tend to get what they want and leave if they are outside... even the people who might try to short change you by swapping fruit etc in a basket or adding a few extra from a different container tend to not do that in an outside area as opposed to where no one might see them. BUT I will say for the most part most of my customers have proven to be very honest.

Last edited by clkeiper; April 11, 2016 at 08:22 AM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote