Thread: The Whole Okra
View Single Post
Old July 29, 2019   #17
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Don, thanks for posting about your Choppee okra. This year is also the first time I've ever grown it and am growing it in full sun next to Jing Orange okra. Next to those big honkin' Jing pods, the slender, almost no-rib Choppee pods seem almost dainty with a velvety feel to them.

The Jing and Choppee have both been fully branched for about two weeks now and are producing enough to cut daily and I think the Choppee is out-producing the Jing. That's just a guess as I haven't done any weighing but I ought to over a week's time.

What's interesting to me is the difference in tenderness between the two. The Jing stays tender even when about 6" long. However the Choppee pods start getting a bit tough when any bigger than about 4" long. Funny thing though, if I find a 6" Choppee pod that escaped my notice, both the top and bottom 1-1.5" are tender and tough in between when I cut into them.

Like you, I'll get all I want/need in the freezer from these 6 plants (three of each) and give the rest away. But I *must* try that okra kimchee!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote