View Single Post
Old January 22, 2018   #26
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

I still think malabar spinach isn't neutral enough to be close to spinach. I haven't seen squirrels eating any of my malabar spinach and don't think they would go for that stuff. In any case it grows so well so there would be plenty to share. Though even now in Florida the growth rate is somewhat reduced in the cooler months. You do want to prune the main stem for better production.

I need to try my hands at spinach because I bought bunches of huge spinach from the farmer market today, it turns out to be Bloomsdale in greenhouses, it amazed me if this size is possible down here in zone 10B. Too bad the cold spell passed just recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
My deck is pretty hot and bakes in the sun all day long. Do you think it would do well in a container? How good of a climber is it?
It will do well in container and will wrap around anything without help. It does like high nitrogen soil and with good weather the leaves can get huge, as I have seen it grown in not fully rotten horse manure. Even though it does need the heat, it likes a lot of water too.

--

Also there is longevity and okinawa spinach, they have a different kind of taste not for everyone though.

Last edited by maxjohnson; January 22, 2018 at 02:46 AM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote