View Single Post
Old October 31, 2017   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Alternatives for EarthBox mulch covers?

I need to get a new batch of covers, having depleted the last 100 or so that I bought on sale some years ago. I still might check and see if there are any sale prices near the holidays, but the regular price is now $1.49 each in lots of 50 and $1.99 in lots of less than 50.

I'm reluctant to pay that price, and I'm looking for alternatives. Trash bags -- tucked in along the sides and ends? "Top Down" (that's no cover at all!). Cedar bark mini chips? Pine straw? Straw? Or maybe something else?

Unless you are very diligent and keep the "bread loaf" raised, then there is not much benefit so far as keeping rain out. Yes, it still helps keep "dirt" from splashing on the lower leaves and stems. Some of the DIY boxes and covers that I've seen on the 'net would have no effect on keeping the rain from coming right through. (Besides, any excess water will go right out the overflow hole.)

So what do you other container gardeners doing about covers in your earthtainers -- whether EB or not. Can't believe I'm the only cheapskate here!
-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote