View Single Post
Old February 24, 2018   #7
bower
Tomatovillian™

Thanks KarenO. Too true the more the merrier. Realistically though, I won't have room for more than a few of them this year. I'm already committed to grow some of the other blacks forward.. but then there is the possibility of crossing this line with an F4 sibling with a better shape.
I'm not too worried about recovering the taste traits, because with very few exceptions the taste in all these sibling lines is well above average across the board. The Skippers both brown and purple are my personal faves but they have a different texture all their own, while the Rodneys are dense but smooth.
I would have to start a half dozen seedlings minimum though, to be sure to recover the earliness.
Am also thinking about a "chop to crop" strategy just to get a few clusters from more plants.
I am pretty much resigned to not growing tomatoes in the yard this year at all, because of the attraction to rats. And it's pointless to overfill the greenhouse.

Speaking of beautiful ruffles, wow Zena's Gift. They were so gorgeous, very regular shapes for such a large fruit. And as deep as pantaloons! I know it's not impossible to have nicely shaped beefs. But they do seem to be more rare than common.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote