View Single Post
Old December 11, 2009   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I am wondering if there are many of the older varieties (hybrid or heirloom)that you have experienced growing and tasting that you think fell into obscurity for good reason,

You asked specifically about the older varieties which in my mind means OP varieties from the late 1800's up to maybe the early 40's when hybrids were first made available.

And I've grown many of those older varieties, whether Livingston varieties or others, and some were great, others not so good and others I wouldn't grow again.

But I've also found over the years that any variety I might like very much another person doesn't. And vice versa. So I have no list to give as to which of those older varieties aren't worth growing.

If you have specific varieties in mind please mention them here and perhaps others here might have grown them and could at least express their own opinions with the eternal caveat that what one person likes another may not.

And for sure many that were know in past times are now deemed extinct, and since they are extinct there's nothing I or anyone else can say about them. Why they became extinct could be related to newer better varieties being introduced, changes in what was considered popular, seeds for such varieties no longer being in production so loss of availability.