View Single Post
Old May 12, 2006   #10
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Jerry, nice pictures. The ones I took didn't turn out very good.

If anyone's interested in my pulled pork recipe, here's how I cooked it.

I used an electric bullet type smoker [they're very easy to use] and smoked the meat [two 7 lb. pork butts] for 5-6 hours between 220 and 240; Make sure the pork is at room temperature and dry by wiping it with paper towels. Then sprinkle sort of liberally with Lawry's Salt and pepper and place on grill rack with smoker heated and smoking.

After 5-6 hours take the meat out of the smoker, put it in a pan with high sides and cover the pan tightly with foil and finish cooking overnight in the kitchen oven at 230 estimating it would be about 205 degrees, which is what pulled pork should be cooked to so it pulls right. I cooked the meat for a total of 16 hours.

The next morning at 6 a.m. I remove meat from oven. Most of the fat will be rendered, pour liquid into a fat skimmer and remove fat, then return juice to meat container so liquid can be incorporated back into meat when pulled/cut up.

It really is simple. Oh yeah. The wood I used to smoke it with was about 90% pecan and cherry. Will try to answer any questions if anyone has any so feel free to ask.