View Single Post
Old October 12, 2008   #1
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Default Cleaning up the garden

Hi to everyone!

I've been cleaning up the tomato patch this week. Always a sad time for me to know my tomato season is over. But..it's well past time to clean up. The patch is ratty looking as all get out and the deer have moved in to feast on the leftovers. I hoard every knotty little tomato and try to stretch them as long as possible. They never taste as good, but they are still better than the cardboard store tomatoes.

Believe it or not, this was by far my most productive tomato year yet. I knew when I was at the taste fest that my maters were thisclose to being ready and by the next weekend, I had plenty of tomatos to eat and plenty to give away. Disease problems were minimal.

I'm already dreaming about next year. I plan to put in a trellis shelving type system later this fall. My cages were just not big enough. I'll probably be begging for a few seeds, as well.

Just wanted to touch base with everyone and see how things are going. I forgot the fella's name that I offered he could grow as many tomatoes here as he needed to. The offer still stands. I suppose I'll see you all at the plant swap