View Single Post
Old April 20, 2018   #12
aftermidnight
Tomatovillian™

Right now I'm trying to germinate some Piekny Jas that were bought in a Polish deli. I'm another that pre-starts in damp paper towel. Being I don't know how old these beans are I'm trying something a little different. After two attempts with my usual methods with about 8-10 beans and only getting one to germinate, this last time I placed the dampened paper towel (water with a drop of liquid fertilizer) on a small pie plate. The beans are laid out so they don't touch each other and turned a couple of times a day. They are enclosed in a clear plastic bag with air blown in to keep it tented, they're sitting on the kitchen counter where they get lots of light.

Started on Sunday I noticed this morning 2 had germinate so they are now in pots on the windowsill. Now to wait and see if they are the real deal, they should be runners but there's a possibility they might be limas. If limas not all is lost I have a sample of Piekny Jas (runners) coming in the mail.

Hi Brightmeadow, hopefully we'll have a better growing year, it's about time maybe ???? we'll get a bit of spring before summer arrives but not holding my breath....

Annette
aftermidnight is offline   Reply With Quote