View Single Post
Old February 2, 2018   #50
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I never tried to talk to NC Farms. There was not much point, being the last shipment of the year. I wanted the smashed cuttings more than I wanted my money back.
Gottcha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
And yeah, I thought that, too, about taking my own cuttings. The problem was that I got whiteflies and aphids very badly. I had so many bugs that I am now worried about having picked up a disease, which would then be spread by cuttings. Another thing my family members have told me - mums are notorious for coming back next year a different color, usually yellow. I don't have enough experience to verify that, and I don't know if modern varieties still have that problem, but it is a concern.
Cant say I ever heard of them coming back different colors. Several years ago I worked for a Nursery (thats now out of business) and im pretty sure thats how they did all of theirs.

But I could be wrong too..

Maybe liquid sevin for insects? Im not a fan of spraying, as I have always touted that to my customers. But im tired of fooling around. This year Im going to HAVE to do something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
You can buy unrooted cuttings and root them yourself. mums root very easily but it is something you have to have a set up for if you are growing hundreds/thousands of them. a mist chamber, timers, lights and greenhouse space.
From where? I looked last night and cant find anyone who offers unrooted cuttings. I read about how must are supplied from Africa and Belgium, and how Yoders sold out, but as to actually buying unrooted cuttings I cant find them.

Maybe later in the year I will have better luck. I only found one company with Live Availability and no mention of mums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
I grew mine outside on wire racks and watered by hand. If I was going to do more than a few hundred I'd have to have some better infrastructure in place. I do Mums more to fill my tables in between Summer and Fall crops than anything. That said I learned a lot and feel like it was a good leaning experience. Best lesson was you cant over feed mums.
Im thinking on the ground on top of weed barrier, and a whole bunch of drip irrigation. Which reminds me this year to install a filter in my system. Last year I had issues with emitters clogging up.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote