View Single Post
Old December 1, 2016   #11
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Charley, I do keep wood right outside the door, but the Gh's are a couple hundred feet from the house. This worked so well, I now have Wood furnaces in other GH's, but only in the ones I start up early. The tanks are also painted black, when the sun starts doing its thing I can pull off the insulation and heat water by solar pretty effectively. The good part is they all have natural gas heaters, but every time I don't feel like getting up, I just imagine the 250,000 BTU heaters running full blast, that helps motivate me. LOL
BVV, those are wood furnaces, they blow the heat through duct, and the shell itself does not get very hot, you can actually touch them, but they produce 100,000 BTU's an hour. The furnace can knock about 20 degrees off of the outside temperature in a 2000 square foot, 12-15 in a 3000, so you need a main source of heat too, like gas. However... when the gas clicks off the wood heat is still pumping, so it takes much longer for the temps to drop where the gas kicks back on, and I get warm water too. That pump has been replaced with a larger shallow well jet pump.
Cole, what a great idea. LOL I wonder how much he pays in labor though, seems like it would negate the savings of the free wood.

Last edited by AKmark; December 1, 2016 at 02:05 PM.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote