View Single Post
Old August 11, 2016   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
" I am considering cancelling my order because just ordering 1/2 lb of each of 2 varieties, and 1/4 lb of a third variety, it came to almost 50.00 (49.00 to be exact) and for that I expect nice large bulbs not bulbs smaller than what I already have. Its a lot of money for garlic,....."

No way Can you really generate enough of a harvest to justify that investment for the "seed"? Do you eat 50.00 worth of garlic? is it hard neck? that only stores for a short time. I slice mine and dry what I am not replanting, otherwise by Dec there is nothing but husks left in the basket. soft neck stores for a long while.

I also suggest hitting up local farmers markets or check on craigslist for garlic bulbs. Then you can see what you are getting.
This year I planted several varieties, one was Music, one was german white ( or some such name) and one was roja?, most I bought at Berlin Seed in Berlin Ohio, and a no name that didn't survive here. Some bulbs were big some were not so big. No rain all Summer either. Next year I will run a drip tape for that, too. Weather plays a big part in the formation, too, not just the size of cloves you start with.

this is a bout 10' worth of harvest all sizes. I am a bit late getting it out of the ground. It is hot and dry here and the ground is like concrete. I am prying with my digging fork to get out each new bulb...

Attachment 65308

This is the size difference in this small section. a few really nice ones but most are small to middlin'. I THINK this is the German White? variety. I didn't mark the row.
Attachment 65309

this is elephant garlic. The little brown "nut" is the "seed" which I collect from the mature bulbs as I harvest, which I then plant for the first year "bulb" which grows into the middles size clove you see, a single clove... I replant this to harvest (hopefully) the next year. which is the bulb on the far right. Making elephant garlic a 3 year project for me.
Attachment 65310

Carolyn that is exactly how you do it.
It is like raising cattle you are building a herd of garlic.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote