View Single Post
Old July 16, 2016   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Obviously just my opinion,but foliage diseases can be seen on OP's and F1's and it really depends on which year and where,geographically,the spores of the fungal ones in the air that year, same for the bacterial ones,which way is the wind blowing as to whether they will arrive before or after rain, and so many more variables.

And are there more than one disease on the foliage of a single plant?Absolutely.

I was very lucky in getting hooked up when I was in the Albany,NY area with an Extension agent with Cornell University and she had learned all from a Prof at Cornell whose name I can 't remember right now but he was the infectious disease expert.

She brought interns to my tomato field,I had been asked to grow some F1's as well as my usual OP's so comparisons could be made, the only F1 I remember was Celebrity and I never grew it again..

Her interns would go down the rows making notes,with me following along with her,then critique what she saw as to what they saw.

I can tell you that I learned a lot that summer.

One reason why I don't usually participate in the Pest and Disease Forum here is b/c for many years at the original Garden Web,there were just three of us doing it all with litle help.With so many new members now at Tville over the years,there are others that can help with diagnosis and possible treatments..

Carolyn