View Single Post
Old March 22, 2016   #15
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I agree. I don't use heat unless the predicted low is about 35 or so. That gives room for error in the forecasting, plus allows for the freak circumstances when the greenhouse can actually dip below the outside temperature.

I made low tunnel-style hoops over my benches and covered that with plastic, then put the heater under that. It is a big improvement for me, when I reduce the area that I am trying to heat.
Another method I have used is to hang plastic floor to ceiling and create a smaller "room" toward the back of the greenhouse when seedlings are small and heat that instead of the whole thing. This creates a cozy environment that is easy to heat with what I use which is just a 1500 watt ceramic heater. stays cozy on the coldest nights. Raising the trays up unto benches and not placing things on the floor is important too when it is really cold. The temp difference between floor and bench is easily 10 degrees in my double wall greenhouse in early spring when the ground is still very cold.
Moving to Vancouver Island and leaving my little greenhouse behind soon. Makes me a little sad as I have loved it and had so much fun with it. Looking forward to starting over and learning new ways in a much different climate.

Karen O
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote