View Single Post
Old January 24, 2018   #15
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I have to wonder if the plants you are growing are Tasty Tom F2 - as in somebody got tired of paying for seed and saved seed from a hybrid.

What is the problem in getting seeds mailed to you? I'm sure it's technically illegal, but that is the same almost everywhere. The worst that I have ever seen happen is that the seeds get confiscated by customs. But there are many people on this site successfully mailing seeds across international borders. It works. I will send you some seed myself if you like.
Hi..Thanks for your kind offer ... They nearly hang people here for smuggling seeds in....A Korean tourist got caught (on Arrival) with Tomato seeds not long ago and was immediately sent back to Korea..She probably never knew she was breaking the law by having them ?...I know its to protect the country but surely there has to be consideration applied to intent and I felt this penalty was really extreme..

My problem is finding a tomato that I actually like and I especially like Tasty Tom . (I wonder what I describe as bite is actually acidic )..I do not like fleshy fruit like Moneymaker which is popular here although its probably more by tradition than by their taste..
Hopefully there is a variety in this seasons crop that will make me happy although from now on I will concentrate on planning on how to get next years crop from cuttings ....Now Tasty Toms..I was told by somebody that the grower here pays $1 a seed but where do they come from? The Netherlands??...Its beyond me how they can patent and control a seed ...I know its a hybrid but I am growing some Tasty Toms from last seasons seeds and some are looking pretty good ..
Zipcode could be right and maybe I should wait before passing a final judgement...The plants I bought from (C) as Tasty toms but under another name are simply laden with fruit and it would be a disaster if I had to give them away especially as this season with its weather is the best growing season I have had in my four seasons ...apart from a curly leaf problem which still puzzles me and I wondering if its coming from rain water that I collect in plastic barrels from the house and greenhouse roofs......These barrels were bought ,the lids cut off and I thoroughly washed them with detergent etc because they had originally some farmers chemicals in them...I wonder if its possible for the plastic to get impregnated with the chemical and even with all the washing I did the rain water is being infected somehow.....My idea of using rainwater instead of from the city tap supply may not have been so wise after all..

Regards Ron
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote