View Single Post
Old May 17, 2014   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Anne I usually wait at least 8 hours before using something else after the diluted bleach spray; but I really don't know if that is necessary since the active ingredient in the bleach oxidizes within a few minutes after it is applied. Read up on the bleach spray thread before using it to make sure you get the right proportions. If you have Gray Mold it is the only thing I have found that works at all on it but the treatment needs to be started as early as possible to be effective. It has been my experience that if the bleach spray is applied when Gray Mold first appears it is usually extremely effective but if Gray Mold is allowed to work on the plant for too long nothing will completely stop it. The bleach spray also works quite well on other foliage diseases that are non systemic and leaves you with a fairly disease free plant for a day or so. Since it has no residual preventive effect I usually apply a copper spray or Daconil within 24 hours after using the bleach spray unless rain is forecast. In that case I wait until the rain has cleared out and use the bleach spray again before applying the fungicide. Good luck.

So far, knock on wood, I haven't even had to use the bleach spray this season. This is the first time in years that I haven't had a need for it by this time of the year; but then again I'm running a month behind my normal schedule.

I did another batch of grafts yesterday with my original seedlings that are still alive in the egg cartons but looking rather sad. I don't know if any of them will take but why not try. I may do another batch today if I can. It will be another few weeks before my fall planted seedlings will be large enough for grafting. Hopefully other than a few of the rootstock which I planted just to see what the plants and fruit were like, I will be setting out nothing but grafted plants all season.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote