View Single Post
Old January 11, 2009   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Pricing your tomatoes

I have recently been to a local farmers market and there were several locals there selling tomatoes among other things. Price was 2.00 lb and I bought some even though I had plenty at home because I wanted to compare. One guy said he had around 600 plants with most of them being Celebrity and Carnival. He was also selling a cherry and I asked him what variety it was and he replied "cherry tomato" Anyway, the Celebrity and Carnival were just decent, not as good as the two hybrids I had in my garden this fall. Valley Girl and Bush Early Girl. Honestly, they werent much better than store bought. The cherry type were real thick skinned and mealy, not one I would buy from him again even if I didnt grow my own. I talked with him the following week and asked him if he had ever thought about growing an heirloom type. He said he had thought about it but wondered how productive they would be as he averaged around 20-25 lbs or better per plant. Asked me what I thought they would sell for. I mentioned that Whole Foods in Austin sells them for 5.99 lb and that they should at least bring twice what he was currently getting if not 5.00 lb. because I feel that they taste at least twice as good. I wasnt trying to offend the guy but I dont think he liked what I said. I heard several people at the market raving about this particular persons tomatoes, yet I wasnt impressed at all. So if they are getting 2.00 lb for a really average tomato, would 4 to 5 dollars a lb be out of line?

Another gentleman that used to grow for market but cant do it anymore sells tomatoes on the side of the road here in town for 3.50 lb. He drives to the valley and buys them by the box. This summer he was selling Top Gun and while they were ok, still not as good as the hybrids I have grown in my own back yard, yet he sells out every single time and people rave about them. He puts out a sign that says "vine ripe tomatoes" and people go nuts over them.

Those of you that grow for market, what do you sell your heirloom varieties for? I am not planning on selling tomatoes, just curious
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote