View Single Post
Old June 25, 2017   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Oh Snap, I goofed! : (

I need some advice, please. This is a learning year for sure. I've learned a valuable lesson this year and now I am running into problems.

For years I have always grown in 3 gallon buckets. Had beautiful plants and loads of fruit. With this year being I am growing all these bigger fruited heirlooms, I have discovered I pretty stupid. For those growing in containers, if they bigger than a cherry and folks here say use big and bigger containers, please listen to them. They right!

Now I have all these huge and beautiful plants and today when I was out TT and doing more tie up, I knocked one pot sideways and got a shock. The plants, and most are well over 8' and still growing are now growing roots out of the bottom of the pot.

Due to my stupidity, I know wondering what I can do. I have a few 5 and 7 gallon containers or some good size totes, can I try and transplant some of the worst root bound plants into the bigger containers without to much shock or losing my fruits?

If that not possible, lots of the secondary leaders all have starts of roots on them, can I remove those leaders and plant to help the main leader survive?

There no way, I have enough soil or pots, to transplant 80 plants right now. Our season will be over in about 2 months.

Any suggestions on how to keep them going good in the 3 gallon, if possible? More food?

Living and learning the hard way, one tomato type plant at a time.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote