View Single Post
Old August 11, 2013   #16
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
Back when I lived in a small apartment, this would have been a dream come true! Three kinds of tomatoes in the space of one? Wow! I could have grown nine varieties of tomatoes on one tiny little patio! Totally cool, indeed!

But having given it some thought, I'll probably just live vicariously through your experiments, admiring them but not attempting them myself. These days, I have enough space for at least one plant per variety, so while the multi-grafts are ridiculously cool, they aren't necessary for me anymore.

The truth is that, I don't know how you keep them all straight! I am obsessive about labeling my seeds and plants so that I don't get them mixed up. Even so, adding in the grafting process with so many different scions, I lost track of which were which a couple of times. There were two plants that I knew were one of two varieties, but I couldn't figure out which.

That's with just one variety per plant! I'm imagining how confusing it would be with three per plant. Nope! That kind of stress might give me a stroke!
I will be putting some thought in to the varieties i will be choosing on the same plant to be able to tell them apart (color, foliage type etc). Also this allows me to single stem prune the multiple variety graft. I will probably be using zip lock bag labeling next year (i think that's what Anne does) around the grafted plant varieties . Sounds good on paper so we will see hehe.
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote