View Single Post
Old April 29, 2019   #13
bower
Tomatovillian™

I have garlic in my greenhouse too - bulbils and rounds in containers. I adjusted the spacing based on size of the bulbil or round and they all have at least a foot of depth, but I have never tried to grow full sized garlic in a pot.
As you can see, these are starting to get a bit floppy - that's because it gets really warm when the sun shines, but there's no wind to make them sturdy. And they are too far along to put them outdoors IMO where it is still freezing at night.
I may have overwatered a bit, and then I saw moss or algae starting to grow on the surface, which tells me the pH is too acid - so I sprinkled quite a bit of lime and scratched it in. Some of the side leaves turned yellow when I did that. So now I'm not sure what I should do to keep them happy. I am not worried about it though. The same flopping over happened last year with the greenhouse bulbils I planted, and they stayed floppy when I put them out. I harvested them about the same time as outside rounds and the results were just fine.
I do think there are so many causes for yellow leaves, you really can't know unless there's an obvious cause - too wet, too cold, too dry....

Shrinkrap in the case of those that you pulled, the 'pink root' is a disease associated with overwatering. So you may be right, they got too wet in the earthbox.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aprilend-containergarlic.JPG (536.6 KB, 54 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote