View Single Post
Old August 1, 2009   #19
TheClaw
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssgarden View Post
Well, I need to work on a few things but it went well.

Here's a pic before, and after..

Attachment 10456

Attachment 10457

Ok, here's what I did wrong....

Too small of a pan. Maybe I should get one of those disposable roasting pans? I ruined wifey's brownie pan. It was so bad that even she said, just throw it out.

Too many Jalapeno's for that size pan. BUT It made a GREAT Fra Diavolo sauce.

Cooked it WAY to long. Three hours and a half and all I got was this bowl. Really doesn't get much easier to make great sauce.

I'll try it later in the week the correct way.

Greg
Greg,

Did you weigh the tomatoes going in or the sauce coming out?

The sauce looks very concentrated and I am sure it is delicious. Intertesting that you mention Fra Diavolo sauce, as I was thinking about that myself just this past week and I have not had it in decades. I agree that the oven roasted sauce would make a great Fra Diavolo. I think I would have it with shrimp as I have in the past. I remember that the oven roasted sauce thickens quickly toward the end. I'm sure you are getting tuned in and getting the hang of it now. I am also confident that each batch you do will improve similar to my experience. Try tastking it after the first hour and a half or so and you can season it and fine tune it to your liking.

I would have to look at my pictures again, but I seem to recall that I did not fill the lasagna pan more than two thirds or so.

Please let us know how the subsequent batches work out for you.

Regards,
Howard

Last edited by TheClaw; August 1, 2009 at 10:12 PM. Reason: grammer
TheClaw is offline   Reply With Quote