View Single Post
Old October 11, 2016   #11
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I make salsa every Sunday night this time of year starting early August. It is important to me that it is from my garden, nothing canned, bottled, or processed. Except for the few last tweaks after a final tasting.

Using garden fresh i may have different tomatoes, different peppers, etc. So it is always slightly different but my key ingredient is a smoked pepper mix. Just a 1/2 pint of my frozen smoked and add fresh cilantro, (with the stems!), fresh toms, fresh garlic, (some garlic is in my smoked mix but that is smoky sweet). Some fresh red sweet pepper sometimes, and fresh hot pepper. Lots of fresh lime, and i do use good vinegars. I make my own from my apple and Asian pear trees. If it needs a sweetness to balance the acid i use my maple syrup, just a touch. (we tap our trees)

Pic is this past Sunday's batch. I like a wet salsa. Not thick and ketchup-like. Never heated...and it freezes beautifully.
(i take a pint into work every Monday and it is a stampede when announced...NewYorkers are a tough crowd....they LOVE it).

This batch had fresh roasted corn.
Attached Images
File Type: png salsa 10-16.png (651.5 KB, 445 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote