Thread: Peppers
View Single Post
Old August 16, 2011   #33
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc View Post
This is more or less what I did last year for various chile types including Big Jim with great results, but I did not cut them open before roasting in the oven. Did that after roasting. Broiler was set to low, after positioning that top oven rack very close to the top element.

About 5-7 min on each side if memory serves (I used tongs to turn), just until they were well blistered but not burnt. Then I wrapped in foil with moistened paper towels for a while to sweat them.

After sweated/cool enough to handle, I cut lengthwise on one side with a paring knife and scraped out seeds with a spoon. Then I used the paring knife and my hands in rubber gloves to remove the skin. Most of them went into a freezer bag and into the freezer for later. (I did a quick freeze on a baking sheet before bagging, so they would not stick together) Some were left in the fridge for fresh eating over the next few days.

Great to have some nice roasted chiles put up in the freezer ready to use throughout the year, as you know, Michael.

Edit/add - we roasted several chiles on the grill last year too, which also works well. But IMO, the oven can be easier/quicker and a bit more uniform in results.

We also slow roasted several chiles on the smoker, which were quite nice and the end flavor was very intense and chipotle-like. I'm no purist, and only have one smoker. Those who are really into the slow roasting of chiles frequently have a dedicated smoker that is only used for that purpose. If a little meat flavor gets in there while I'm slow roasting chiles, oh well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 040.jpg (177.0 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 043.jpg (180.9 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 062.jpg (286.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 051.jpg (222.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 082.jpg (162.0 KB, 77 views)
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote