View Single Post
Old April 26, 2016   #10
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
I'm trying a purple, I got it from Croatia.
Here is the description
LIVOVYI DZHEM-PLUM JAM Russian Heirloom 75-85 days. Rare purple tomatillo with
exceptional appearance and taste. Deep violet skin color bleeds into flesh with green centers. Much sweeter than
the green types with a musky flavor that is superb when eaten right from the plant. Harvest after the papery husk
has split, when fruits are the size of a golf ball and skin has turned a deep purple color. This unusual deep
purple tomatillo makes an ideal salsa with its sweet tart flavor.

I have two growing and it is outpacing everything! It's huge with flowers already. I'm not planting out till Saturday. I have grown ground cherries, but never tomatillo's till now. When looking at pictures, it doesn't look like the purple I see sold around here.
I probably have extra seed. Looking for a good green also! I can save ton's of seed too if this is worthwhile?

I will have to do a search on those drew51.They sound interesting (but don't they all?),but if I had to order from Croatia,then that would be a little difficult.As has been suggested,just a couple varieties would no doubt serve you very well,at least until you find all the other tasty things you could do with them all.

I wonder what recipes the good people of Croatia use these in?

I think I would save seed just to be safe,but from what everyone is saying,you won't have a shortage because of the volunteers that will come up year after year. Not only that,but no doubt there are some folks here that would enjoy growing them out as a comparison to the purple varieties that they may already be growing.

Please do keep us updated on your new Tomatillos.Very interested to see how they do for you.

Trop

Last edited by Tropicalgrower; April 26, 2016 at 10:22 PM.
Tropicalgrower is offline   Reply With Quote