Thread: Figs
View Single Post
Old June 21, 2017   #23
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I've read that it's best to get the plants outside once any danger of frost is past and before they break dormancy. If yours never went dormant, then I'm not sure if they would need acclimating or not. Maybe someone else with more experience will chime in.

As to whether or not you take them out at all, I think it depends on whether or not you want them to go dormant in the winter or if you want to try to keep them going year round. Although I've read many articles that have said they will not produce a good crop if kept indoors.

Once mine dropped all its leaves last fall, it spent the winter wrapped up in a cocoon of row cover fabric topped with a couple of old shirts out in our unheated shed. I think I pulled it out at the start of May and it broke dormancy about the middle of the month. It's been growing like crazy since then. As it's a little lopsided, I pinched the tips out on the taller branches yesterday to let the branches on the shorter side catch up.

And last weekend my dad gifted me rooted cuttings from both his fig tree varieties, so now I have three. These two are descendants from cuttings brought over from Italy over 50 years ago and he has no idea what varieties they are, but one produces black figs and the other green ones.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote