View Single Post
Old June 21, 2010   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love my garden View Post

Don't know if this is odd, but can't find alot of info on it, just a few things. Orange Minsk, my first year with these and I am havin a great time...mega blooms and large fruits, the one in the pic is already 7 inches in diameter!
Dinah, Orange Minsk isn't a legacy variety yet, as in historical backgrounds, etc., which is what most of the threads in this Forum are all about, but I sure hope in a few decades it might be a legacy one except there's no historical information for this variety.

I sent you the seeds for Orange Minsk. It's a variety that Andrey from Minsk, Belarus found at a local farmer's market and sent seeds to several of us, no other info is available. I offered it in my free seed off here at Tville the past two years, also listed it in the SSE YEarbook, as did Andrey and in the 2010 SSE YEarbook there are now quite a few who are listing it, and I also sent it for trial at several seed sites I trust and know well, and lots of folks love it. Indet, RL and late midseason, large orange beefsteaks with excellent taste.

The fruit you show in your picture looks like it came from what's called a megabloom or fasciated bloom, as you noted, which is why it has all those lobes. Many varieties have those large fasciated blossom early in the season, as you know, and then regular blooms follow. There's nothing wrong with the eating qualities of such fruits, but it's best not to save seeds from them since there's more likely to be Cross pollinated seeds b'c of the several individual blossoms that fuse eventually to form one fruit.

You'll find lots and lots of threads that have information about varieties from the former USSR in the General Discussion Forum, so if interested, do take a look, not just with what's there now, but a search also brings up lots more varieties.

The one there now where such varieties are being discussed is the one started by Dmitry, aka Duh Vinci, where quite a few varieties have been discussed.

Good Growing.