View Single Post
Old April 24, 2009   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default How much money do they want?

Okay, how much would YOU pay? We stopped today at the local Publix Grocery Store to check on their specials. Stacked around one of the columns out front were some 30" tall tomato plants in 2-3 gallon black nursery pots. Naturally, my curiosity had to look.

They were listed on their tags as "Better Bush". Most had several smallish 1-2" tomatoes already set. The plants were stocky and almost looked "Rugose" in their stockiness. I looked for a price tag and didn't see one right away. Then, shoved down in between a couple of the pots was the magical piece of cardstock. They wanted $12.98 each for the plants. Another local grocer last year had similar plants for $2.50 each, and they had 12 varieties to choose from.

A bit later, the garden department manager at the Oakwood, GA Walmart told me he was ordering additional tomato and pepper plants every two days and his delivery time was 48 hours from the time of the order. He also said that this was a most unusual year for his vegetable plants. One of his workers made the comment that the plants are "flying off the shelf as quick as we can put them on the shelf."

My wife was a bit irked when two ladies trying to buy some pepper and tomato plants began asking me questions about how to grow tomatoes on patios. I did my best to please both my wife and the curious questioners. But, as you all know, there was no way for me to win this one.

Anyhow, this has sparked my curiosity about how much plants are costing in YOUR neck of the woods.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote