View Single Post
Old June 27, 2018   #47
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
Then you need to try Ail de la Drome garlic (Therador, Provence wight, many more). Big stalks, big bulbs with quite big cloves, very winter hardy. Forget about hardnecks if you want mass production. In good conditions you can get to 200g (not cured). It's what I would call standard taste.
It is interesting to hear about European varieties but I believe they are difficult or impossible to find in North America. The exception is a few varieties that produce bulbils, available on eBay. I think the import restrictions on bulbs, especially for seed, would make it very costly.

I don't know if PH's area is the same, but we found the market for local softneck to be quite weak compared to hardneck. Likely because the supermarkets are still flooded with cheap softneck from China, and this is what folks have been eating when local is not available, paying less than a dollar a bulb. The hardnecks stand out as different because of the large easy peeling cloves, and the market for those is great even at 3X the price.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote