View Single Post
Old December 11, 2013   #59
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
Yes it all depends on the size of the plants. If your starting from seed the dual size clips work good.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-6414-sp...ting-clip.aspx

I find it easier to use cuttings to graft (easier to match sizes imo). No limits to how many grafts you can put on 1 plant which is the best part of the whole grafting adventure for me then i will replace the root stock later with something that has some Disease tolerance if i decide to go that route. Being able to grow multiple varieties grafts allows me to enjoy more choices with less space. If you want I can send you 5 dual size grafting clips if you like for practice before you decide to order online.

Right now i got just about 40+ grafts with all of them being different variety combinations (2-4 varieties per plant) of what i want to grow for next year. Eventually i will replace the root stock with something more Disease tolerant when it comes down to planting time.
Hi Delerium,

You state that you will replace the root stock with something more disease tolerant when it comes down to planting time....

May I ask, can you graft your already grafted plants to another root stock at that later time? It would seem that the stems would be very large at that point and grafting would be very difficult.

Thanks,

Charley
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote