View Single Post
Old October 5, 2017   #512
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5haun5 View Post
Thanks for the report. I only have DRO141TX [*] and only needed 8 or 10 plants but life happened just as I was about to graft. Consequently the results aren't the best, they're still in healing chambers so not sure of final numbers.

My DRO141TX is pelleted seed and it didn't germinate at the same time as the scions. Turns out I didn't wet the media enough to dissolve the clay-based pelleting material.

I germinated some more DRO seeds on wet tissue when I realised what happened then planted them into small pots but they didn't catch up to my scions so what with that and life happening things haven't been great.
[*] I still have healthy and vigorous Maxifort cuttings growing that have now over-wintered on my deck from the single parent pant I obtained three years ago. However because the stem is so thick on these they're only good for approach (or veneer) grafting. I may graft some laterals from my earlier plants onto this later in the season.

Thanks everyone for sharing.
It is better to have scions ahead of the root stock because you only need the top of the plant and it doesn't matter how far you go up the scion to match the root stock stem size. It does matter if you have to cut the root stock off too low because then you have the problem of the join being too close to the soil line when planting out in the garden. I have use the top few inches of scions that were over a foot tall to graft onto my small root stock. I haven't seen any disadvantage other than if you let the scion get too old the stem becomes fairly thick near the top sometimes, making matching to the young root stock stem difficult.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote