View Single Post
Old March 12, 2015   #12
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks.

Yellow is easy - Taxi. It's simply the best early yellow tomato. One packet from Johnny's is now my 25 or so strongest seedlings.

For orange, I really like Orange Blossom F1. But I didn't order it this year; I'm trying BHN-871 on the recommendation of another market gardener as a determinate orange slicer. It will probably be the only hybrid in the high tunnel. I am trying two orange heirloom determinates against the BHN-871; they are Oranze and Qiyanai Huang.

Mountain Princess and Ballada are the two heirloom reds I am trying. I also have a lot of other early red varieties, but they are mostly smaller tomatoes. I have tried a lot of hybrid varieties that are red determinate slicers, but they have all been the overly-firm commercial types that I don't like to eat. That's what I liked about Big Beef - the tomatoes taste good. I looked at Bobcat F1 as a similar determinate to Big Beef, but from what I read it is not anything like Big Beef in regard to flavor.

My plan is to rip out the first planting in July and re-plant cherry varieties for a fall crop.

Last edited by Cole_Robbie; March 12, 2015 at 03:25 PM.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote