View Single Post
Old March 15, 2018   #30
bower
Tomatovillian™

Also thought I would compare the LED bok choy with the same generation under a fluorescent 6500 K in my cold window. This is west facing and does get afternoon sun when we have it.
First pic is how it looked a couple days ago with yu choy on the left. The light is some inches higher above the plants than it is in the LED row.
Second pic I brought the LED plants out - two on the left, compared with the three on the right which have been under the fluorescent + occasional sunshine. The LED plants are stockier with fatter stems. One of the plants under fluorescent is starting to bolt, another one has reached a leaf right up there. I've been thinking of this window as my 'coldest spot' but I'm realizing it is really my 'extremes' spot. Colder at night, for sure, but also the temp as well as the lumens can go way up there on a sunny day. Since bok choy is apt to bolt, the LED setup which gets a little morning sun at most looks like the better choice. Then again, the height of the lamps may have played a role too, with more growth focused on reaching for the light.

Last not least, getting a lot of mileage out of my second LED which is quite high above the plants on a white shelf. The chinese cabbage showing no stress reaching for lights. I could do better for the cut-and-come-again trays which have been bitten down numerous times already, but they aren't doing too bad in the circumstances, better than I would expect!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yu-and-BokChoy.JPG (253.1 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg LED-left2-FLOday-rt3.JPG (166.9 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg LED-high.JPG (173.2 KB, 134 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote