View Single Post
Old November 18, 2017   #79
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I looked at greenhouse heaters at a recent auction, but even at auction prices, they are out of my league.

I actually have an out-building that I built to contain a wood-burning furnace, which was my original design. I just need to re-build the ducts. That shed doesn't even have a front door, and would get plenty of fresh air to keep the heater lit. I'm never inside the greenhouse when the heater is running, so I am not worried about breathing the air. It just needs to be clean enough to not kill my plants.

Curious side note - I had sprayed Met52 on my aphids, and thought they were all gone, but they had started to come back. After I ran the heater for two nights until it snuffed itself out each night, there is not a live aphid to be found. It worked better than the Met52. I guess I suffocated them. I still have a few whiteflies, though. They must breathe less.
that is interesting. I just picked my last greenhouse with peppers in it yesterday and the new blossoms were LOADED with aphids. I sprayed them all with soapy water and since there are no benificial bugs to be found around here at this time of year I dusted them with sevin. I DO NOT want a colony of aphids in there wintering over. I have no hope of harvesting fruit so I am not worried about that... I just don't want the aphids!

We bought a small gas heater (ventless) at TSC and I am pretty sure it was less than 200.00 (which we installed ourselves... gas line and tie in). that is not too bad. if you are selling the plants from your structure they should be more than enough to cover the cost and pay for itself in less than a crop. you have beautiful plants. make sure you are not selling yourself short and not making a profit.