Thread: Planting...Time
View Single Post
Old March 20, 2017   #28
EPawlick
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
A lot of the 'time' part has been spent cooling off, taking a break, cleaning the sweat off my glasses, changing my mind and thinking it out, and having to stop because of the disease. (I didn't like typing that last part.)

The one area that took the most time was figuring out what to plant in one set of raised beds. I stopped and thought about it overnight. The raised bed is one we see right out the northwestern windows beside our living room (Where we spend most of our time.) I'll take a picture tomorrow.

I first thought about planting varieties like Rebel Yell, Elgin Pink, Indian Stripe PL, Big Beef, etc. But my wife looks out those windows as the sun is rising, and she really loves cherry tomatoes. I thought about planting some new-to-us cherry tomatoes that probably look nice. Varieties like Gargamel, Garnet, Green Zebra Cherry, Suncherry, Mom's Big Fat Grape, etc. Those varieties might become favorites?

As I sat back and contemplated even more, I thought, "Why not plant her favorites there?" There is room for 17 plants in that raised bed- planted 3 feet apart in all directions. I chose the ones with an * beside them as her favorites and a few that I think will look good growing with them.

The picture will help explain this more. It got planted out like this:

Left Side
Sweetie Cherry x 2*
Annie Sunshine
Aunt Ruby's Yellow Cherry
Anna Aasa
Brad's Atomic Grape

Back End
Sweet Million x2 *
Blue Ambrosia (This plant is unbelievable - looks perfect)
Porter x2 *****

Right Side
Sungold F1 x2 *
Oranje Van Goeijenbier x2 *
VHS Cherry F2 x2*

The left side of the raised beds gets a little less sun, but I have not noticed a difference in plant growth or productivity. My wife really likes Peacevine too, but I had already planted one of the two Peacevine plants out in the main garden. What I have read is Peacevine is the OP version of SS Cherry 100. Being that Sweet Million is an improved version of SS 100...you grow what you got.
Will you add some flowers such as marigolds as a companion plant for the tomatoes?
EPawlick is offline   Reply With Quote