View Single Post
Old July 4, 2012   #36
nativeplanter
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the ideas! I like the one with the center CPVC idea. I'll have to figure out how to support it in the middle of the bed, though. Since I dug down below the beds, the soil is nice and soft. I don't want to pound it in too far, or it would puncture the plastic liner that is keeping out the tree roots. I wonder if I can find some sort of part that looks like an end cap with a flat base on it. Or maybe I can make something like that. Or perhaps a rebar cap might fit.

It sound like 6 feet above the beds would have to do, since buying the metal fence posts would probably start to get close to the cost of using 3/4-inch conduit. I wonder if the 1-inch PVC conduit elbows would fit over the 3/4-inch conduit? Sounds like I need to go to the store and see. Today I'll put together the materials I bought for the one trellis using the 3/4-inch conduit, just to see how it does over 8 feet. If a center post is still needed, then it really sounds like the 1/2-inch conduit would be the best to use, cost-wise.

I can't remember if you said above how you cut the conduit. Hacksaw?

Your tomatoes look great, by the way! Mine got a late start since I was busy digging out and re-doing the beds, but the growing season is long here so it'll still be OK. The bed I finished first has nice big green tomatoes on it (that's the bed where the overhead wire is making the smiley face!)
nativeplanter is offline   Reply With Quote