Thread: Leek "pearls"
View Single Post
Old January 17, 2018   #22
bower
Tomatovillian™

Well here it is mid-January and the Mammoth leeks are just seeded, but I had to take a pic to update my greenhouse leek pearls vs perennial green onions, it is a bit of a surprise to me. I had thought that the perennial green onions would also continue to grow like the leeks. They did not!
My pic from November is a bit blurry but you can see how it looked at planting time. Leek pearls with a few green sprouts are planted in three rows from long stalks row and to the left. Perennial green onion is the good looking green shoots in two rows on the right.
Second pic taken today Jan 17. The winner is... Leeks!!!
The greenery is now reversed: perennial green onions have gone dormant, but the biggest leek shoots are now nearly a foot tall. All that growth in temperatures mostly in the 30's occasional 40's and some dips below zero. Not to mention daylight hours less than ten, and very low light levels on days when the greenhouse has been snow covered. November 5 it was still 9 hours 46 minutes but January 17 we are only back to 8 hours 56 minutes. Rule of thumb from Johnny's is that vegetables need 10 hrs per day to grow, so leeks are truly exceptional.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leeksandperonionsnov.JPG (266.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg leeksandperonionsjan.JPG (266.5 KB, 27 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote