Thread: Climbing Squash
View Single Post
Old May 15, 2016   #3
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

I am just popping in to say Hi, I am growing three types of trailing squash, Shooting Star,Black Forest and from A Little Salt I too am growing Gialle Nostrale.

However I wanted to jump in because squash has always been so close to my heart. Over the last several years I have distributed most of my squash collection as I am getting on a bit, same with my tomatoes and beans, At one point I had more than 300 varieties of squash.

I don't have the space to grow then any more so my post would have to be a wannabee .

I would first off grow the blues, I love almost all of them, then I also like the Australian Japs, it took me some time to find the seeds but a bit of shady swapping in Australia got me the real thing as it did the Gramma too. It also gave me the chance to bring an unheard of one in to North America, a very local one that was never shared until the owner died. My swapper worked in a office with some one who knew the relative and through office chats about seeds he had mentioned his friend in Canada who was a squash collector. His office friend told him about her friends Dads seeds and yep, they got their heads together and I got the seeds. I shared them with just one person, Tatiana, she now offers them as Mayoral Blue. The original owner had been the Mayor of a town in NSW and it was called after him.

I once had a house with acreage that had a huge half a field which was my winter squash patch, there were no limitation on what I could grow and I loved it, and I miss it.

So I shall watch this post with interest and pretend I am part of it if I may.

By he way, if you are letting things sprawl and want to save seeds , you are going to have to be very careful and bag, you have more than I Moschato group, ditto Pepo etc etc and they will cross pollinate.

Last edited by Jeannine Anne; May 15, 2016 at 03:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote