View Single Post
Old August 6, 2015   #13
stevenkh1
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

Yep, that was me who started the Acme thread. And last year, I started the Boston Market thread. I've noted seed sellers would take seeds and would often spin them as "their" variety so the true variety could have multiple names - which is why I was wondering if the original variety existed under different names.

Please understand the entire reason I am searching these old varieties is this: it wasn't until 10 years ago that I started gardening at the age of 44. I grew up in Ohio, my dad always had a HUGE garden and I helped him in it - as did my grandmother (his mom) who was born 1888. My dad's grandfather was born in 1843. They - including my mother and her people are all from the hollers of West Virginia - and my parents instilled my love of these old vegetables: half runner beans, huge orange beefsteaks (larger than my hand!), pickled beets, pickled corn, kraut, and chowchow.

I soon realized starting up my gardens that the modern era packet varieties aren't even remotely close to the same flavors as I enjoyed as a boy. Knowing my grandparents and their parents always saved seed and shared them with family, I know the varieties I enjoyed as a boy were from the 19th century. This is why I search for these old varieties - to taste once again the vegetables my grandparents and their parents enjoyed and that I enjoyed as a boy. I have the old white and brown half runners as well as late flat dutch cabbage and table queen acorn squash....but I'm still searching for those old tomatoes.

Some may call it nostalgia, but I call it amazing tasting veggies that I'd like to grow and eat once again. I have no interest in writing/re-writing vegetable books.

As always, I am very appreciate of your expertise or you pointing me in the right direction. When I turn something information up like I've found with Feejee, I share it in hopes someone else might find the info useful.

Last edited by stevenkh1; August 6, 2015 at 05:58 PM.
stevenkh1 is offline   Reply With Quote