View Single Post
Old December 2, 2012   #3
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Ditto on the recommendation for "Sugar Lace II". The dwarf vines don't need support, and the peas are wide, sweet, and succulent. DV Burrell is a good source for bulk quantities, their prices are good, and they have free shipping for quantities under a pound.

But if the mice are as much of a problem as you say, Uno, then dwarf peas may be the last thing you need. If the pods are closer to the ground, then the same mice which decimated your seeds will likely get the pods too.

What you probably need to do is to control the mice, or discourage them from eating the seeds. I would suggest predator urine, a hot sauce spray, or the use of DE over the row. Apply this after planting, and to protect the young seedlings. If deterrents don't work, some good old-fashioned mouse traps might slow the onslaught enough to give the seeds a chance. Getting a cat or two would be helpful too.

Quote:
But I have one big problem with them....they blow over and break no matter what I do it seems.
I grow a lot of heirloom soup peas, which also get very tall. Not all of them have strong tendrils; left to their own devices, some of the vines might break loose in the wind as they get longer. I grow tall peas on trellises, and once the plants get over 24", I carefully wrap twine around both sides & tie it off. This pulls the vines together, which helps the vines to cling to the trellis & to each other. For each additional foot or so of growth, I run another loop of twine to keep the vines growing tightly next to the trellis.

Good luck!
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote