View Single Post
Old October 14, 2023   #2
nicollas
Tomatovillian™

For this first year, we got some good interesting stuff ! Here is a recap of lines of interest discovered during this first year of the collaborative project (F2 grow out). Thanks to all members who participated

First, we've discovered some dark green'ish tomatoes. Those line should combine three recessive genes : dg (dark green, accumulation of chlorophyll), gf (green flesh, retention of chlorophyll during ripening), and r^y (reddish yellow, suppression of some lycopene during ripening).

We've got a line from Gabriel

F3 Dark Green #3 - Gabriel

A line from Marie

F3 Dark Green (top left) - Marie

F3 Dark Green - Marie

Maybe a line from Klaus, but i'm not sure if the photos are misleading because fruits have been harvested too early (Klaus can you confirm if it stays relatively green whhen ripe ?)

F3 Dark Green (or unripe brown?) - Klaus

Then we've got brown line, combining the dg and gf genes, but lacking the r^y one. The fruits have intese red parts, dark green interior towards peel, and a brownish external color.

A line from Gabriel

F3 Dark Brown #8 - Gabriel

F3 Dark Green #3 & Brown8 - Gabriel

At least a line from Klaus

F3 Dark Brown - Klaus

F3 Dark Brown - Klaus

F3 Dark Brown - Klaus

And one from me

F3 Dark Brown - Nicolas

F3 Dark Brown - Nicolas

F3 Dark Brown - Nicolas

F3 Dark Brown - Nicolas

F3 Dark Brown - Nicolas

F3 Dark Brown - Nicolas

F3 Dark Brown - Nicolas

Then we've got dark red lines, containing dg but neither gf or r^y

Some lines from Gabriel

F3 Dark Red #2 - Gabriel

F3 Dark Red #1 - Gabriel

And a line from Klaus, whose fruits are quite bigs and of beefsteak type. Klaus noted that the flesh is firmer, which is apparently a feature of the dg gene.

F3 Dark Red Beefsteak (unripe) - Klaus

F3 Dark Red Beefsteak - Klaus

We've aso got lines with lovely red color and dark shoulders. This phenotype is kind of a mystery for me because it dos not contains dg gene (flesh is normal red). So maybe it is caused by the dg gene in heterozygous condition, and/ormaybe some combination with the u gene (uniforma ripening / dark shoulder gene locus).

One from Klaus

F3 Lovely Red - Klaus

And one from me.

F3 Lovely Red - Nicolas

Whats next for the project ?

The project has already been successfull because the goal was to combine the dg and gf gene at least, and dg, gf and r^y at best. Some other interesting lines may be of interest like the dark read beefsteak, and lovely red lines.
Next step this winter is to get seeds from and for members of this year. Next year i will grow seeds from some lines so seeds could be shared widely outside of the project. Some crosses will be made. I hope that other members will join, and that we will be able to try to get new combination with GWR, striped and/or blue tomatoes.

Last edited by nicollas; October 14, 2023 at 01:03 PM. Reason: image resized
nicollas is offline   Reply With Quote