Thread: Grub Update
View Single Post
Old February 9, 2006   #18
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default More Pics

Hi Aunty Carolyn,
I was under the misunderstanding Golden Monarch was a bicolour. Lol. But when I went to pick it I'm thinking: hey, not much of a bicolour. I was expecting a Regina's Yellow kind of thang. Anyway, I brought it inside and it looked great. A big yellow with a pink blush on the bottom which, as you say, appears to be quite common on yellows.

So, still thinking this is a bicolour and therefore without great shelflife, I awoke and, when She Who Must Be Obeyed said which one? I picked up Golden Monarch. She sliced it and we had it on fresh hot rolls that I picked up from the local baker down the road.

Wow! Golden Monarch is a very very tasty yellow and among the most delicious yellows I have eaten. It's got a depth of flavour, not all that common in yellows, and a great balance, with fruity undertones and a tanginess that reminds me of how I like my mangoes.

[img]http://pixmixer.com/uploads/images/20060209/full_size/53598_Golden-Monarch.jpg
[/img]

Next thing I know the doorbell riings: ding dong ding dong. That's right. Last night I phoned my MIL's friend who looks after my plants and chickens when I'm away. I said: come on down with a bag for a feast. And she did. So I packed tomatoes and eggs for her and she left with a very broad smile.

Then I moved onto seed saving with Grub's Mystery RL Green. Terrifically meaty fruits. I busted two open and nibbled on them both. One was riper than the other and, it should be noted if you have followed this thread to this point, that the fully-ripe golden hued GMGs have the greatest depth of flavour. Just a great fruit.

And sooo meaty.
[img]http://pixmixer.com/uploads/images/20060209/full_size/53600_Grubs-Mystery-RL-Green-2.jpg
[/img]

That is it for today. Thanks for all your help Aunty Carolyn and I really do appreciate it.

You make my summer Grub
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote