View Single Post
Old May 28, 2016   #2
shule1

I'm growing out a whole bunch of Husky Cherry Red F3 plants from two good-tasting, long-keeping, and early F2s I got last year. They didn't split like the F1; one was very sweet and the other was super tomatoey but not sweet (the lack of sweetness may be because it was grown in the shade). The F1 is said to be a dwarf indeterminate. It doesn't look like a tree-type, though. It's just a small tomato plant. It's indeterminate, but it grows slowly and fruits continually. I don't know how dwarf-like my F3s will be, since the F2s I saved seeds from were less dwarf-like than the F1, but many of them look dwarf-like so far.

Have you used the Payette tomato in the project at all? It looks like it has potential, and it's a hardly known variety, bred in Parma, Idaho (and resistant to Curly Top Virus). I don't know if it's a dwarf; they say it's determinate, early, has rugose foliage, and produces 3" tomatoes over a long season. The plants so far look pretty cool, and kind of dwarf-like. We'll see what happens. I wonder what a cross between it and New Big Dwarf (which I'm also growing) would be like.

Maybe I wasn't supposed to reply to this thread. I don't know. I was just being conversational, though (not meaning to join the project, per se).

Last edited by shule1; May 28, 2016 at 05:15 AM.