View Single Post
Old July 15, 2019   #18
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Even though I have been growing bell peppers for over 40 years I have run into something I have never seen before and don't know whether it is a disease or some type of mineral problem. I set out some late peppers in May and early June and have had a couple of them turn a chartreuse yellow green . I know they aren't deficient in nitrogen and it doesn't look like iron deficiency either. One plant just started turning yellow and now a couple of my older plants are showing the same thing happening on some of the new growth.

I used an iron supplement spray on all the peppers that had any yellowing of new growth and the few that were basically whole plants turning color. The ones that looked like iron deficiency and there were only a couple, quickly greened right up. The ones that showed that all over the leaf chartreuse color were unaffected by the foliage spray of iron. The three plants that showed that look the worst and the two others that were starting to get it were given a good dose of vinegar and water yesterday to see if that would help. I haven't checked them yet because it usually takes a day or two for freed-up extra phosphorous and iron to be taken up by the plant.

I fertilized the plants yesterday with Urban Farms Vegetable formula and gave an extra dose to the affected plants. I have over 50 bells in my garden and most are doing great so it is no great lose but I would love to know what is causing this weird discoloration in just a few plants. Oh yeah I haven't had a lot of pests this year so if it is something carried by an insect I don't know what insects they would be. Hopefully someone has seen this malady before and might know what causes it.

Bill

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote