View Single Post
Old April 15, 2017   #235
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys. I have found over the years that market customers want to buy tomato plants as soon as the weather is warm. Today was only our second market of the spring, but the weather was unseasonable warm. I have planted some of my outdoor plants, but only a small fraction. The wind beating them up is the worst part of the weather right now. Last year, the spring weather was a big head fake. It was 80 and sunny most of April, then 50's and rainy for most of May. I have no idea if this year will be like that or not.

I use the mix pictured below, $14 at Menards for the compressed bale that expands to 4 cubic feet. It's mostly peat. I do like the Fafard mixes with pine bark fines better, but I have to buy them a pallet at a time.

Also, I do add a little Mycogrow, and I use Osmocote as a fertilizer. The Osmocote is a 3-month time-release, so customers get their plants pre-fertilized. Often they will come back the next week to tell me how the plants they bought from me are racing ahead of others planted at the same time. It's the Osmocote.

Last edited by Cole_Robbie; April 15, 2017 at 06:20 PM.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote