View Single Post
Old January 29, 2018   #27
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by murihikukid View Post
Hi...Thanks for the information but bag blossoms and organza bags.... Is their a web site for one to get an understanding of what to do here....These of course could be common in the uSA but here in the bottom of the world they are unknown...I will do some research on the internet...

So far I have been totally reliant of Garden centres and seed sellers.....IMO they are not that reliable ...And thats why I need to cut them out of the loop but its too late for this season...All I can do is plan ahead by saving seed and cultivating cuttings for next season...
REgards Ron
Here is a tutorial on bagging blossoms, as you requested, from the original Garden Website, now Houzz

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussion...ss-pollinating

I will say that if there are prolonged high heat times, the buds and blossoms will turn black and rotten inside the tulle.

All well enough, but I have a hard time seeing how even bagging blossoms of a Tasty Tom plant would help you at all.

Only by taking cuttings, as you mentioned above, preferably,from the suckers that appear on all tomato plants in the V between two branches would it work.Otherwise saving seeds of a hybrid by bagging blossoms cannot work since you'd be only getting F2 seeds,not the original F1 hybrid seeds.

Carolyn