View Single Post
Old March 11, 2018   #3156
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Isn't that green bag a Scotts organic product? I hate evetything Scotts ever made. Total crap without sterility IMHO, I used the green bag Natures Care at our community garden because they got it for free as a grant, and the solarized bags were used(sterile) and put over thick plastic, not touching the soil at all, and my plants failed to thrive, then started to die. I cut open a stem, and it had fusarium, classic case. Fusarium is SOIL BORNE.
Scott's products are famous for having fungus gnat eggs in them. Go with PromixBX for new pots, you won't be sorry.
Meanwhile, you can reuse this soil next year, but sterilize it in the Summer with the 3mil large clear Husky Bags, kept tight for about 6 to 8 weeks. It will cook and kill everything.

I think your plants might have fungus gnat larvae being the issue here, but if one dies, I suggest cutting it open to see if fusarium is in the stem. (Google it for photos) brown purple vascular plant tissue.
I've got a dead seedling that I'll check before I return it to hd. I feel like it wasn't planted long enough for fusarium, unless it takes a week for fusarium to kill a plant. In regards to the BT granules I added to the soil... do you think it's possible to soak some of those granules in warm water for a while to make a "tea" and then water my containers until water is draining from the bottom to make sure the BT gets down deep? I keep thinking those surface granules and the ones I scratched in aren't going to make it far enough down into the soil to kill the larva down deep.
DocBrock is offline   Reply With Quote