View Single Post
Old February 4, 2013   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryinfla View Post
Have you tried Texas Early Grano 502 Onions? They're a short day type. I start mine from seed in coir then transplant them in September - November. Not sure if you can grow them during winters where you live but they are the only onions I plant now. I pulled my first one last night but it wasn't much bigger than a golf ball. I expect we'll be in onions for the next few months with the really nice ones coming in a couple more weeks.
The Texas Granos usually do well but they are such poor keepers due to their high moisture content. They are great eating and very sweet. I no longer grow them because the Vidalias come in about the same time and are really cheap around here. I like the Bermudas because they will keep for a long time but they are a bit stronger but still on the sweet side when grown in my garden.

I grew the Candy F1 hybrid 3 years and it only made well one time. It also was not a very good keeper so it doesn't do much good if you get a lot of them because they start rotting before they can be eaten.

I guess I'll stick to the Bermuda since it is fairly sweet and a good fresh eating onion with the advantage of being a fairly good storage onion. I would dearly love to find a good red onion that did well in our climate but so far all the ones I have tried have been poor producers. The ones that have made a few I really liked but I just can't seem to get much production out of them. It is a lot of work planting onions and it is very frustrating when you only get a half dozen decent ones out of a large planting. Now I just plant a dozen or two of each variety other than Bermudas so I'm not as frustrated.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote