View Single Post
Old May 29, 2011   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcday View Post
Carolyn sent seeds for Moravsky Div to me in 2008 and also emailed what I believe was the description Andrey sent her. The description said, "Moravsky Div; Czech CV, semi-det, PL, early, hi yield, red 50 to70 gm fruits." But now Andrey's SSE listing (and almost everyone else's) says determinate, not semi-det

All of my determinate varieties were planted in containers in 2008. MDiv was not planted in containers, it was planted out in the garden, so apparently I did not expect it to be determinate. Unfortunately I don't seem to have a record of its plant habit other than to say that it was potato leaf. It did produce fruit abundantly until frost, however.

Marko, Andrey's SSE listing says he got the seeds from a Czech commercial seed company called Moravoseed. Considering where you are located, is it possible that you might be able to get more information from this company?
The last time I listed MD was in the 2010 SSE YEarbook so I took a look at that and in that listing Andrey, Suze, Bill M and myself all said det.

bcday, I can look at my original seed pack from Andrey but I do think that I'd e-mailed him about it when I first listed MD and perhaps back in 2008 he did say semi-det.

Det varieties should have terminal blossoms while indet varieties have subterminal blossoms but many folks, myself included, have often looked at just how long the vines are, how compact the plant is, I can't say how tall b'c I don't stake plants, I let them sprawl.

MD is a compact plant as I see it, not as compact as some others, but not a rambler either.

As long as the basic traits of the variety are met, as to fruit color and size and leaf form, etc., I tend to think it's OK. Some will desribe a variety as semi-indet and how does that differ from indet?

It does get a bit confusing at times, no doubt about it. But the folks I mentioned above, including Andrey himself, are all experienced growers so I'm OK with calling it either det OR semi=det.

The first year I listed MD was in 2009, seeds from Andrey in 2008 and in that 2009 listing I do say det and PL. When Andrey doesn't have the time to write much on a seed pack when it comes time for me to first SSE list one of his varieties I usually e-mail him for additional info. But bcday, I'm not sure where that semi-det came from when Andrey himself has consistently said det.

But as I said above, either det or semi-det is OK with me and I would hope others as well.

Andrey should know Moravoseed quite well b'c he's sent me quite a few varieties from that company as he has to others. But Marko, as bcday suggested, you can contact them to see what they say but that may not reflect the experiences of folks actually growing it, if you know what I mean.